Bringing the right equipment can go a long way towards having a great hunt. Read on to learn what items are on our recommended Alberta black bear hunting gear list.
Here is our recommended Alberta black bear hunting gear list.
While temperatures normally get down into the low-40s at night and up into the mid-60s during the day, it’s not unusual for it to get significantly colder or warmer at times. Bring warm clothes and dress in layers so you’ll be prepared for hunting in a wide range of temperatures.
There is a good chance that it will rain for a day or two during your hunt, so bring rain gear. Bugs are also pretty fierce during this time of year. Bring DEET based insect repellent, a headnet, and a Thermacell if you have one. While it’s ok to fly with the actual Therma Cell and the mats for it, don’t fly with the butane cartridges. They are classified as hazardous material and are not allowed on airlines. Fortunately, there is a Wal-Mart in town close to where you’ll be hunting and you can buy the cartridges there.
If you want to bring your bear hide and/or meat home with you, we can take you into town after the hunt so you can buy a cooler or two. Then, you can load them on your flight home as checked baggage.
Note: the links below are affiliate links. This means I will earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you) if you make a purchase.
Recommended Alberta Black Bear Hunting Gear List
- CBP Form 4457 (if bringing a rifle)
- 20 Rounds of Ammunition or 12 Arrows (6 broadheads and 6 field/target tips)
- 3x Shirts
- 3x Pair of Pants
- 3x T-Shirts
- 5x Pair of Socks
- Long underwear
- 1x Pair of Boots
- 1x Pair of Camp Shoes (Sandals/Flip-Flops/Slippers)
- Face mask
- Knit cap
- 1 pair of Medium weight gloves
- 1 pair of Lightweight gloves
- Rain gear
- High Quality Binoculars
- Laser rangefinder
- Flashlight with spare batteries
- (I personally use a Black Diamond Storm headlamp on all my hunts and cannot recommend it highly enough)
- Reading Material
- Camera And/Or Video Camera With Charger & USB Cable
- Personal Toiletries (Toothbrush, Razor, Etc.)
- Lip Balm
- DEET Based Insect Repellent
- Thermacell (the Thermacell Radius is airline friendly)
- Canteen/Water Bottle/Hydration Backpack (also known as a Camelbak)
- Head net (practice shooting with your head net on prior to the hunt)
- Cell Phone
- Medium sized day pack
- Simple gun cleaning kit (bore snake and CLP) for rifle hunters
- Sleeping bag and pillow
- Hunting knife
Big Game Hunting Adventures LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.au, and other Amazon stores worldwide.
If you have questions regarding our recommended Alberta black bear hunting gear list, please contact us and we’ll be happy to answer them.