Looking for an excellent Chamois hunt in New Zealand that doesn’t require a helicopter? We have some of the best free range Chamois hunting on foot available anywhere in the world.
Why should I hunt Chamois with you? We have exclusive hunting rights on several large sections of private land containing prime Alpine Chamois habitat in the South Canterbury region of New Zealand’s South Island. Not surprisingly, this land has some of the best Chamois Hunting in New Zealand.
Since we have exclusive access to such a large amount of outstanding Chamois habitat on private land, we are able to keep the hunting pressure on the Chamois very low. Our alpine hunting areas also have very good road access, which allows us to cater to hunters with a wide range of abilities. As a result, we have very high success rates on free range Chamois hunts on foot without the use of a helicopter.
Not only do we have high success rates on our Chamois hunts, but due to the high Chamois populations, and the fact that we keep the hunting pressure very low, our hunters are able to be very selective and only harvest mature buck Chamois.
Over the past three years, we have a 100% success rate on our Chamois hunts.
Due to all of these factors, we offer an outstanding Chamois hunting experience that few other New Zealand outfitters can match. Have you always dreamed of hunting in the magnificent Southern Alps of New Zealand? Are you looking looking for a great chance at taking a monster Chamois without having to use a helicopter? Then book one of our awesome Chamois hunting packages.
Continue reading to learn more about our incredible Chamois hunting in New Zealand.
New Zealand Chamois Hunting Packages
The Chamois hunting packages listed below are valid for hunts booked in 2019 and 2020.
Mountain Hunting Package
5 Days (4 Nights) Accommodation
1 Bull Himalayan Tahr & 1 Alpine Chamois
$1,000 per Observer
Red Stag & Chamois Hunting Package
5 Days (4 Nights) Accommodation
1 Red Deer Up To 380″ & 1 Alpine Chamois Buck
$1,000 per Observer
New Zealand Classic 4 Hunting Package
7 Days (6 Nights) Accommodation
1 Bull Tahr, 1 Red Stag Up To 410”, 1 Alpine Chamois, 1 Fallow Buck
May Substitute Elk Up To 380″ For Stag
Accommodations For 1 Observer Included
All of these packages may be upgraded with additional hunting days and/or game animals at our normal daily rates and trophy fees listed below.
You’ll be at a premier hunting destination in the South Pacific with lots of opportunity to hunt other world class trophy animals. You’re also welcome to hunt Arapawa Ram, Elk (Wapiti), Merriam’s Turkey, Feral Goats, and Wild Boar on a trophy fee basis.
We guarantee a reasonable shot on our Chamois hunts and our lifetime success rate on our Chamois hunting packages is over 95%. if you do not a species listed in a package on your hunt, you will receive a $3,000 refund per species not taken. Though every effort will be made to follow up and recover wounded animals, all animals wounded and not recovered will be charged full price.
We have scoped and suppressed rifles available for hunters who do not wish to bring their own rifles. For $100, we provide use of the rifle and appropriate ammunition for hunting Chamois.
1 Hunter × 1 Guide: $450 per hunter, per day
2 Hunters x 1 Guide: $350 per hunter, per day
Hunters 16 And Younger: $150 per hunter, per day
Non Hunter: $200 per person, per day
Why Should I Book A Chamois Hunting Trip With You?
- We have exclusive hunting rights to private land containing some of the best Chamois habitat in New Zealand. Since this land also has very good road access, our hunters can access Chamois country without using a helicopter.
- We book a limited number of hunts each year, abide by strict quotas, and carefully manage our hunting areas. This helps ensure that our hunters have high success rates and consistently harvest mature Chamois trophies. This area is home to an incredible population of Alpine and has some excellent hunting opportunities that few other hunting outfitters in Europe or New Zealand (to include Austria and they Pyrenees in France or Spain) can rival.
- We are not a high turnover outfit. Instead, we take great pleasure in providing quality hunts with the best possible experience for each guest. For that reason, we only book one hunt at a time. Instead of sharing the area with people that you don’t know, you’ll have the whole place to yourself. This allows us to give you our full attention and ensure that you receive VIP treatment on your hunt.
- The hunting lodge is centrally located on the South Island between 5 and 40 minutes of all our hunting areas. This allows our guests to spend the maximum amount of their valuable time in New Zealand hunting without wasting valuable time driving.
- No hidden costs: our New Zealand Chamois hunting packages include everything except for your air fare, taxidermy, and shipment of your trophies.
- Our Hunting Guides are friendly, knowledgeable, and have many years worth of experience guiding Chamois hunts.
- We take pride in providing authentic Chamois hunts with outstanding personal service before, during, and after your hunt. You will not have problems getting in touch us when and we’ll be available to you through the entire process to provide assistance with anything you need related to the hunt.
- We offer a family friendly New Zealand hunting experience with a wide range of local non-hunting activities and sightseeing tours. We are situated near the famous Mount Cook National Park and numerous lakes in the central South Island.
Chamois Hunting Accommodations
Hunters will stay in our well apportioned lodge located between 30 and 40 minutes from our various hunting areas. With individual rooms, wifi internet, an outdoor fireplace, and a miniature golf course, the lodge is the perfect location to relax after a hard day of Chamois hunting.
Best Time For Chamois Hunting
While New Zealand does not have an official Chamois hunting season, we hunt Chamois each year from March through November. However, the Chamois rut normally occurs from mid-May through mid-June. Since the rut coincides with winter in New Zealand, the Chamois also have nice winter coats during that time period. For that reason, those months are the ideal for hunting Chamois.
Best Caliber For Chamois Hunting
Alpine Chamois (scientific name Rupicapra Rupicapra) are not very large or particularly tough animals. However, they are most often hunted in conjunction with larger animals like Red Stag and Tahr, so most of our Chamois hunters use cartridges like the .270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, .30-06 Springfield, and the .300 Winchester Magnum. Chamois are not as large or as tough as Tahr, but shots tend also be on the long side placement is still extremely important. For this reason, we highly recommend bringing a flat shooting rifle that you are familiar with and shoot accurately. Be prepared to take a shoot in the 100-350 yard range, but most shots on our Chamois hunts are between 250 and 350 yards.
Chamois Hunts Include:
Trophy Fee(s) For Listed Animals
Accommodation For Specified Number Of Days & Nights
Exclusive use of the hunting area
Services of a Hunting Guide
Transportation between Christchurch or Timaru Airport and hunting areas
Accommodation, food, and beverages
Reasonable quantity of beer and wine
Laundry service during the hunt
Wifi internet at lodge
New Zealand Goods and Services Tax
Skinning and field preparation of trophies
Delivery of trophies to a New Zealand based taxidermist and shipping company
Chamois Hunts Do Not Include:
Gratuities for staff members
Taxidermy fees, expediting of trophies,
Crating and shipment of trophies
Transport of trophies outside of New Zealand
Personal, Travel and Trophy insurance
New Zealand rifle import license (NZ$25)